Disney Princess Half Marathon 2013 Training

Hello!  Welcome to this page, which is devoted to training for the Disney Princess Half Marathon, which will be in February 2013.  Curious to know how this all came about?  Check out the blog post:  http://ladolceduchessa.blogspot.com/2012/10/mama-needs-to-get-back-in-shape.html

Please note that although I'm using the beginner training program, I've changed the dates slightly and am always a training session ahead.  This is because that it how I can get the training to work with my kids' and my schedule.

I've had two workouts last week, on Thursday and Saturday.  In the Saturday run / walk, I could tell it was a little easier than the Thursday run / walk.  On the days I haven't ran, I've felt a little soreness in my legs, but not honestly a lot.  I make sure I stretch after a 5 minute warm up and afterward, I stretch, too.  I am so grateful to my sister for suggesting this.  I think it is going to be such a blessing.

This is officially the first day of training.  I will start keeping track of my weight starting today- I weigh 174.3.  Before you get all horrified by that number, keep in mind I'm nearly 6 feet tall, ok?!.  Could tell I could run a little faster and easier, since this is actually my third work out in the past week.  In the last few days, I have been basically ravenous.  I pretty much eat everything in sight.  I guess that's what breastfeeding and training for a half marathon do for you- hey, I have a cooking blog, it's not like I'm interested in going on a diet!

Today I ran/walked outside for the first time- otherwise I am on the treadmill at the gym.  It seemed harder- but I don't know if that's because I also was pushing the baby in the jogging stroller, too.  I forgot my headphones, so I wasn't able to listen to music, so maybe next time that would make it more enjoyable.

Learned the hard way that the gym closes at 5 on Saturday!  Got to run for 7 minutes and 26 seconds.  Probably better than nothing :)  Will see what their hours are tomorrow.

Had a great run/walk today!  Went farther, 3 miles, than previous workouts.  Also had a faster pace, about 13:30, which is what I need to not be picked up by the golf carts...  Obviously would have to maintain that for 13 miles instead of 3, but it is a start.  I have a REALLY nerdy excel spreadsheet to track my training.  I haven't lost any weight yet, but I also became ravenous as soon as I started this and I pretty much eat everything in sight.  I also have a 5 month old baby who is exclusively breastfed, so I really, really have to eat!  I'll probably start her on some baby food at 5 1/2 months.  Despite the fact that I am still sleep deprived, I feel better and less cranky since I started this training program.

Today is the first day I woke up regretting agreeing to this...  None of the little ones seemed to believe in sleeping last night!  So this morning, I was very, tired.  But, I made it through 3 miles!  I ran with walking breaks and my pace has improved to about 13:15.  Kind of exciting to see progress.  I weighed 0.6 lbs less this morning, too.  So, after running, I did not regret agreeing to do this :)  Feel kind of proud.

Sore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  My legs are sore!!!!  But, the scale has finally started to move in the right direction :)  Woo hoo!  Have noticed I feel able to run for longer.  This is handy, since my toddler has stopped napping in the afternoons.  Apparently I am training for a half marathon in order to keep up with an almost 3 year old :)  That seems about right.

Food poisoning on 10/17 prevented my 10/18 run.  Argh.  Feeling slightly better.  Will attempt to run again tomorrow.  Weight this morning was 170.3, the loss I attribute primarily to being sick, but perhaps some of it will stay off!

I haven't run since last Tuesday (10/16).  At first, it was because of having been sick- then, I was having a lot of soreness in my legs and heels.  At first, I was concerned that I might be injured or have some problem that might prevent me from running.  I did a few google searches on 'my heels hurt after running,' and the answers seemed familiar...  new to running, had gone from very little activity to a fair amount, etc.  I am also certain it did not help to go to a party on Saturday night in 3 inch stilettos...  Anyhow, after limping around for most of Sunday, after the little ones went to bed, I did this prenatal yoga dvd I had from when I was pregnant: http://www.amazon.com/Prenatal-Kundalini-Yoga-Meditation-Mothers/dp/B000OZZ876/ref=sr_1_21?ie=UTF8&qid=1350928257&sr=8-21&keywords=prenatal+yoga+dvd and after I'd made it almost all the way through, I wasn't in pain anymore!  (A few comments on this prenatal yoga dvd, first of all, I love it, but it is a little, well, let's just say it has an 'interpretative dance section,' which, my husband once walked in on me doing while pregnant with our second.  I wish I had a picture of his face.  Let's just say, this is one groovy yoga dvd.)  Unfortunately, this morning, I was sore again (heels, back of ankles, mostly left side) when I woke up.  So, I went to my local running store and talked to the guy there- who was really, really helpful.  He looked at my feet, asked me a lot of questions, even video taped my feet jogging on a treadmill.  I ended up with a pair of Mizuno Wave Creation 13 running shoes, in a fantastic orange.  He also showed me some stretches I could do on a foam roller, primarily rolling my ankle over it, and recommended some occasional anti-inflammatory medicine, like Motrin  etc.  I have high arches, both beneath my foot and on the top (high instep) and a wide foot.  I didn't need a larger size or a different width in this shoe, I took my regular size and the toe box seems really nice and roomy.  We'll see!  Running will resume tomorrow!

I felt well enough to run on Tuesday and Thursday again this week, although, I didn't make it the distance I was supposed to for the 'long run' this week- 4 miles.  The farthest I've gone this week was 3 miles, and although I was disappointed I didn't make it to 4, I was pleasantly surprised that my pace was better than 13:30, it was 13:10.  Yay!  The time off caused at first by the food poisoning ended up being a blessing in disguise, because my legs, especially my heels / calves were very, very sore.  The time off really helped my soreness go away and today I was aware of some tightness while running, but not in pain.  I also noticed that while stretching my calves, it was great to stretch them with the leg straight, and then also a wonderful stretch with the leg bent.  My husband's rolfer had recommended that.  By the way, I have lost about 5 pounds!  This morning I weighed 169.7.

Well, hurricane Sandy made training difficult...  8 days without power changes your priorities a little...  But, I was able to run this past Thursday.  Will get back on the wagon tomorrow.  I'm behind in the distance workouts, I've only gone 3 miles, so I'm managing my goal down- I'm ok if I have to get picked up by the golf carts (running slower than a pace of 13:30).  Although, I certainly hope I can do it without getting picked up!  In the last few weeks, when I've actually been able to run, I've actually looked forward to it- that definitely wasn't the case in the beginning.  I weighed 167 this morning!  According to my nerdy excel spreadsheet, I've lost 8.9 pounds, run 30.2 miles over the course of 7.4 hours, with an average pace of 13:45.

Did one of the 30 min workouts this morning after dropping my son off at school.  Wasn't able to eat as much  breakfast as usual, and it felt more difficult.  Don't know if that is a breakfast issue or a haven't run frequently enough issue.  Anyhow, made it through the 30 min with a 5 min warm up and 5 min cool down.  Listened to some dance music :)  Tiny dancer to a house beat is pretty good.  Weighed 166.6 this morning.  Woo hoo!

11/17/12, 11/22/12 and 11/27/12
Thanksgiving week!  Was able to work out with my adorable sister who was in town- who you might remember as the instigator of this project :)  Although she tells me she doesn't own a scale (which we rectified yesterday), she looks to me like she's lost at least 5 pounds since the last time I saw her.  We ran together on the Saturday before Thanksgiving and then on Thanksgiving itself- outside!  We challenged ourselves to run to certain mailboxes or other landmarks on the street.  Was able to run again this afternoon- but a busy day- took my son to school, then had a cavity filled, then took the baby girl to her 6 month check up, then back home...  It's good to know which days I have to run, otherwise it might not happen!  PS, I weighed 161.8 this morning!

The past two weeks, I definitely haven't run as much as I had hoped to- first, Thanksgiving was wonderful but just a lot of work!  I confit-ed a turkey!  Then, first my son got sick and now my little baby girl is sick- both got croup.  They are very susceptible to croup.  I actually have to take her back to the Dr. again for the second time this week!  So, running is not a priority this week.  But, I now weigh 160.9 and since I began, I have run for 10.7 hours and have run a distance of 44.2 miles.  Crazy!  Both children are on the mend, thankfully :)

I've lost 18.8 pounds!  Woooooo hoooooooooooooo!  So- I have not been able to stick to the training plan that my sister found for us on the Disney Princess Half Marathon website.  But- I have lost MORE than my pregnancy weight, I am now about 3 or so pounds below my pre pregnancy body.  The training plan we have calls for running 3x a week, 2 of the sessions are 30 min and then there's a distance one.  The distance one is the one I've never been able to keep to- so on this I'm way behind.  The farthest I ever go is 3 miles, so I know I need to work on this.  But- I'm amazed at my progress- I'm super proud that I CAN run 3 miles!  And, one of my goals was the pregnancy weight.  It's kind of exciting to have my closet back :)  We had a black tie dinner last night and I got to wear a very skinny dress and eat whatever I wanted!  Yay running!  So- my current attitude is this- I will continue to train and try to go for more distance, but, if I get picked up by the golf cart during the event for not being fast enough, I am 100% ok with that.  This for me is a bit of a 'showing up' goal.  When I'm standing on the starting line I will be super proud of myself because if you asked me if I'd run a half marathon after having two babies and having never been a runner, I would have said never in a million years :)  Since I've started this, I have run a total of 12.7 hours and 53 miles.  Woooooooooo hooooooooo!

It is a revolving door of croup at our house for the last 3 weeks- first my son has a cold, which doesn't turn into croup, but he gives it to the baby, who gets croup.  Then my son gets croup (didn't you already have this cold, sir?)  Several steroid treatments- possible roid rage- unclear- some chest xrays... both children fine, now!  Any guess who is sick now?  Mama!  I sound like Kathleen Turner.  People don't recognize my voicemail messages.  I live on cough drops.  So, no running in about two weeks.  Hopefully back on the horse next week.

Yesterday I (attempted) to take a ballet class.  It has been 18 years since I have done ballet, and boy does it show!  I made it through 45 minutes only!  I will try again and try to go longer!  Rough.

1/8 and 1/10/13
Was able to run (treadmill) on Tues and Thurs this week, hopefully also this Saturday.  Haven't run in a little while, so both of these were a little tougher than I would have liked, went 3.2 miles on Tues and 3 miles this morning.  My pace was 4.4 m/hr.  It definitely helps if I walk (briskly) for a little bit and then run and then walk again.

Only 10.3 miles during this period- I think I got the flu last week!  It was awful!  But today, back on the treadmill, but less running than before, more brisk walking.  The total is 16.6 hours and 69.6 miles since I started this training- and, drum roll please....  I have lost 22.3 pounds!!!!!  Yay!  This running is great stuff!

Ran on 2/2 and 2/5, 2 miles and 2.5 miles.  Haven't been sleeping well- baby girl is not a good sleeper!!!  Helps to listen to music on the treadmill.  The treadmills look out over the pool and sometimes there are cute baby swim classes!  My son takes swimming on Saturday mornings, so I watched his swim class with daddy the past two Saturdays.  Have lost 24.5 pounds!  17.6 hours of running and 74.1 miles so far!


Cheryl K. said...

Hey! Just checking is to see how your training is going. I hope you are feeling better and you have power back on in your house. What a nightmare that must have been! I have been training, but I have a shin splint that is killing me. I have asked other runners and I am now icing it a couple of times a day to help it. I just did my first ever 10k on Thanksgiving and did pretty well. The only problem was at about mile 4.5, I was cursing myself for having signed up for the 1/2 marathon! LOL I hope with additional training, I can do this thing. It is now sold out, by the way. So I guess we will be running with tens of thousands of other runners. Yikes! I could get trampled in that mess! :) Keep up your hard work! It will be worth it in the end!

La Dolce Duchessa said...

Hi Cheryl! Wow- way to go! I'm super impressed you did a 10k! I think the farthest I have run so far is less than 5k! I'm sorry to hear you have a shin splint- that sounds painful! I am doing ok- didn't get to run 3x a week for the past few weeks, so certainly off my training schedule! But, I'll just keep moving toward the finish line :)

Cheryl K. said...

Checking in again. My shin splint was pretty bad and I started taping it and got good results. I actually took some time off from running in order to help it, but now that has put me behind in training. I should be running about 6-8 miles right now on my longest run day. I am just under that, but I hope to be able to get back to it this week. Wish me luck and if you're the praying type, please pray to St. Sebatian for me (he's the patron saint of runners). I could use all the help I can get in the healing process. Pray for your own running if you think you need it too! :)

Keep training when you can! We have only 74 days until the race! Yikes! I almost just wish it was here so I could stop with the crazy training schedule and just run for health and fun. Guess I won't be signing myself up for any 1/2 marathons in the future! LOL

Good luck to you and Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy Hanukkah and Season's Greetings to you (just covering all the bases). :)

La Dolce Duchessa said...

Hi Cheryl! Thank you so much for checking in! I am so happy to have messages from you :) I'm sorry about the shin splint :( That sounds both painful and inconvenient for your training!

My training is well, definitely behind! I try to run 3x a week, and sometimes it's only 2x. Each time I run 3 miles, and I know I should be doing more than that!!! I have, though, accepted more or less that this is as much as I can do- and if I get picked up by the golf carts for being too slow- I am 100% ok with that! Also, I have lost all my pregnancy weight!!!!!!! I actually weigh 2 pounds less now than I did before both babies! So I feel pretty happy about that.

Since I'm such a beginner runner, I am letting myself off the hook a little bit, which is really atypical for my personality, so it's kind of a nice surprise to be ok with that!

I love that you talked about praying- I will say a little prayer for you- we are Episcopalians and I am in the process of starting a bible study with some great ladies :)

Take care and have a wonderful holiday season!

xo Jessica at La Dolce Duchessa

Cheryl K. said...

Hi Again!

Just wanted to say good luck and enjoy the Princess 1/2! Maybe I will see you there! I will be wearing a purplish skirt with sequins all over it and a matching color top. I am in corral B, but I will be going slow because my shin is still giving me problems. I hope that you will have a nice time and enjoy the race!

Cheryl K. said...

Hi Again!

Just checking in post-race. How did you do? Did you enjoy it? I ended up doing okay with my shin because I had taped it, but my knees and feet ended up hurting because I had not been able to train properly to get them used to that long of a run/walk. I ended up getting done in a bit under 3 hours and I did take some photos and stopped to walk for water at each mile. I walked about 3-4 miles of the race but usually did a run/walk combo. I will say that the race kicked my butt and I was out for the count the rest of that day. I had not gotten much sleep the previous 3 nights (my daughter was sick when we got down there) and I ended up with a slight cold for the race, which made things even worse! I was EXTREMELY nervous about the whole thing which did not help me. I had visions of people trampling me and me lying on the side of the road in agony unable to finish. LOL But I got that medal one way or another and I really enjoyed the run through Magic Kingdom and the fun outfits some people wore. I am now giving my body a good rest for 1-2 months and then I will try to train properly for a 1/2 marathon here in Sept. I hope to be able to do better and actually run more of the race instead of walking it. We'll see how that works out! :) I could end up hating myself again for signing up for something like that!

I hope you enjoyed your run and although I saw a lot of Snow White outfits, I do not think I saw you. Haha! With about 26,000 runners, I figured it was a LONG shot! But you never know... ;)

Take care and congratulations on your 1/2 marathon and all your post-baby weight loss! Great job! I wish you a happy and healthy rest of the year and maybe I'll see you in another 1/2 marathon someday! :)

Anonymous said...

You talked a lot about getting picked up by the carts, but with a speed of 13ish you are 3 minutes under the minimum so...IDK you probably don't need t worry at this point, especially since many people actually walk this race, and at some points in the race you have no choice but to walk.

-advice from someone who's been there, done that

La Dolce Duchessa said...

Hi there! Thanks so much for your comment! I completely agree- but something else that might be helpful is that you may have to wait in line to use a bathroom- which obviously can take some time away from you- and if you wait in line to take pictures with characters that can take up time, too.