May 19, 2013

Moxie and Bourbon BBQ Sauce

A little George T. Stagg goes a long way!
Unite North and South in your summer BBQ sauce!  How, you might ask?  Using Moxie- the wonderful, possibly medicinal, oddly bitter yet delicious cola in the bright orange can, and your favorite bourbon- I used George T. Stagg- but only when my husband was out of the house- this stuff is so good that it's nearby heresy to use it in anything other than a serious cocktail- but hey, it's only a Tablespoon (husband panic attack averted).

Get cooking- this is fast, easy, and you'll wonder where it all went!
Moxie (mini can!)
Moxie and Bourbon BBQ Sauce
8 ounce can of Moxie
1 Tbsp George T. Stagg bourbon
A splash red wine (< 1 Tbsp)
15 ounce can tomato sauce
4 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
3/4 cup molasses (not black strap)
7 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Maille Dijon mustard
1/2 Tbsp Mexican style chili powder
1 tsp dried savory
A pinch of dried rosemary leaves, crumbled
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic salt
1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar

In goes the Moxie
In a large pot combine all the ingredients and combine over low to medium heat.  It will take a few minutes for the butter and molasses, especially, to incorporate, so start the burner and assemble as it heats.  Then, once every wonderful ingredient is in the pot, simmer on low to medium heat for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.  It should be thicker but still fairly liquid.  Refrigerate and then use on you favorite things- pulled pork, chicken, a burger- have fun, it is almost summer after all!

Maille Dijon Mustard
If you can't get Moxie, use Dr. Pepper or Coke.  Don't use a diet soda.  If you don't have George T. Stagg, any bourbon will do!  Use your favorite!  Any dijon mustard may also be used, I just happen to like Maille brand products.  With regard to the molasses, there are a few varieties.  Try to get one that just says molasses, and try not to use black strap- that stuff is stronger!

Pinch of rosemary about to be added
I truly, truly love that most BBQ places in the South are drive through.  I should back up a second, though, and talk about my love of drive throughs!  I love them.  Any concept that can be made into a drive through should be.

Not a drive through, but still loving it!  (at Chipotle)
My sister has put in a request for my husband to craft a Moxie based cocktail this summer.  Stay tuned- Moxie mania is about to begin!

How did I come to love Moxie?  You might recall that my Dad is from a small town in Maine, Camden, where we like to vacation in the summer.  I have literally been to that area in Maine every year of my life.  (Check out last summer's post on it: Magnificent Maine)  It's  where I spent time with my paternal Grandmother, who had an amazing garden and raspberry patch- it developed my love of raspberries and raspberry pie (see post on that here: My raspberry pie), an interest in gardening, and possibly most importantly, a strong belief that all kitchens should be light blue.  Irrational, yes, but that's just how it is.  I asked my husband recently, 'Have you noticed that every apartment or house we have owned I have painted the kitchen light blue?'  It's because of my Grandmother.  In any event, with the baked bean dinners, cucumbers in vinegar and water (check out that post here: My cucumbers), sharp cheddar served with pie, and the occasional loon call, there was Moxie.  My father would drink it excitedly, my Mom would look- well, maybe the best word is apprehensive.  Well- if that wasn't enough to make a kid want to try it- what is?  So my sister and I gleefully drank its bubbly bitter taste- and I know I keep calling it bitter, and you might be wondering why we like it- well, I also love Campari.  So obviously I like bitter!  Bitter, of course, in a delicious good way.

xoxo  Jessica at La Dolce Duchessa

No comments: