July 12, 2011

Favorite Baby Books and Equipment!



As a new mom, or even a non-new mom, do you ever feel like there isn't time to do the research you'd like to? Like about baby food, sleep training, crib tents, swim lessons, etc., this list could be endless! I remember feeling like I had to understand how all this equipment worked before I had the baby, and it was so exhausting, figuring out how the diaper genie worked, installing the mobile above the crib- how do I collapse the #$%^ pack 'n play again? Forget even talking about the breast pump and all the rules about breast milk!


What I found I ended up doing was asking friends- friends that I felt had a similar point of view (about food, behavior, breast feeding) and it was so incredibly helpful. Before I had the baby, I also went over to two different people's houses who had small babies and spent a few hours with them, seeing how they interacted with their baby, how they disciplined, and what it was like. Before I had our baby, I had literally never changed a diaper (now I am fast- even impressing my own mom!) This post is inspired by a conversation I had recently with a dear friend with a six month old who is just starting solid food. She and I share a similar point of view- we both wanted to make our own baby food, we wanted to breast feed for as long as possible, etc. It occurred to me that some of the blog readers might be interested in these resources also!


Here's my absolute favorite book on caring for infants and toddlers, The New Basics by Dr. Michel Cohen: http://www.amazon.com/New-Basics--Z-Modern-Parent/dp/0060535482/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1310484250&sr=8-3
Here's why I love this book- it's set up like a dictionary, you just look up the topic you're interested in and read that entry. The entry will cover the topic from different ages if need be. Also, and probably the most important, this book doesn't make me feel guilty. It doesn't tell me I should be giving the infant a massage every day. (Let's be realistic here, Mommy is the one who needs the massage)


Solid foods- we started at 5 1/2 months and we loved the Beaba Babycook: http://www.amazon.com/Beaba-Babycook-Baby-Food-Maker/dp/B001LQCOIS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310484414&sr=1-1


and also this wonderful baby food cookbook, Top 100 Baby Purees: http://www.amazon.com/Top-100-Baby-Purees-Healthy/dp/0743289579/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1310484474&sr=1-1
Some of these are really delicious, when you've made them, take a taste and see!


Moving farther down the development line, we have in the last few months moved from a high chair to a booster seat and now little baby boy sits at the table like a big person. Here's the mat we have in front of him on the table: http://www.diapers.com/p/Summer-Infant-TinyDiner-Blue-21410
It's also easy to take with you when you travel or go out to eat.


Our most recent baby related purchase is due to a recent 'escape' by baby boy- this past Sunday, early in the morning, my husband was taking the dog out in the morning and when he came back in the house, there the baby was, sitting half way down the stairs, pleased as punch! He'd climbed out of his crib (the first time), opened the gate of the nursery, come down the stairs into the family room and had started down the stairs behind the kitchen. So, crib tent it was! http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=309775&cmSource=Search

No comments: