November 16, 2010

Smoke That Turkey, Y'all

Thanksgiving is upon us! I really like Thanksgiving. I like it because it is a holiday almost completely devoted to food and because there is no gift giving. Don't get me wrong, I love receiving a gift as much as the next girl, but sometimes the shopping for gifts can be stressful! I don't think I know anyone easy to shop for!

On to the food- you probably all know where you'll be eating Thanksgiving, or you are hosting. I myself am hosting, but on the Saturday following Thanksgiving (we have two Thanksgivings so we see all the relatives). This year, we are planning to smoke a turkey on the big green egg- I'm very excited about this, mostly to make the turkey taste, well, not like turkey. I wish I liked turkey, but I'm afraid I just can't get there. The only turkey I do like, seems to be smoked turkey. Now, while I am smoking my own turkey, you may not be able to. That is not a problem. Perhaps you have heard of Greenberg Smoked Turkeys, which is a company in Texas that sells mail order smoked turkeys. These have got to be tasted to be believed. We had the extreme pleasure of tasting one of these turkeys when we had our 'dinner calendar' after having our baby. For those of you not familiar with the 'dinner calendar' concept, a friend of the new mother organizes friends to bring dinner to the family over a few weeks. Our darling friend Jody sent us a smoked turkey from Greenberg. I remember saying to my family while eating it, "there is something so right going on in Tyler, Texas, y'all," and no doubt there is- because this turkey is so delicious, it tastes like ham. Here is there link!


What's funny about this is that although it is delicious, their smoking is quite intense and we found that it made the husband smell like smoked turkey for a while. That is the only downside (if that can be considered a downside).

Enjoy! More Thanksgiving related posts to follow!

No comments: