November 15, 2010

The Day After the Dinner Party...

Sometimes I think we give little thought to the recuperation and clean up following hosting an event. We have developed- although I laugh a little when I say 'developed,' it is more like we are tired so this is what we do, but I have noticed that it is a pretty consistent pattern. No matter! Here it is.

After our fabulous and fun guests leave, we go to bed. We don't do any dishes, we don't start the dishwasher (partially because ours makes a loud beeping noise that wakes everyone up, even baby), we just go to sleep. The next morning, we feed baby at home and then, with me still in my pajamas, we get in the car, even the dog in the back, and we drive through Starbucks and we get breakfast sandwiches- you know, the kind with eggs and cheese and breakfast meats... mmmm... breakfast meat. My Dad has a new year's resolution every year to eat more breakfast meats. I'm not sure what it accomplishes, but I like where his head is. So we drive through Starbucks so we don't have to get dressed to go out in public. Actually, this is mostly just me, the husband does look presentable. But baby and Mommy, we're still in our pajamas. I want some footy pajamas too, don't they look comfortable?

We also go out to eat for lunch and we get take out for dinner- unless there are a lot of leftovers, we might eat those. During the day, we do a few loads of dishes. I would like to sing the praises of my dishwasher, we have a Miele, and it is hands down the best dishwasher I have ever encountered. I don't rinse any dishes. Really. I scrape off the big pieces of food and I just load them in without rinsing them. Almost 100% of the time, they get clean. For those of you interested in the water use differential, I was told that the dishwasher uses 4-5 gallons of water and if you rinse the dishes before putting them in, you use 19 gallons. Go figure. So by the end of the next day, nearly all the dishes are done, and no one was really stressed out by the clean up! Except maybe Pele. Weird things stress her out. She breathes really heavy in the drive through line at Starbucks.

So my message to you is that you get a pass after hosting people and doing a lot of work. Go ahead! Go to a drive through in your pajamas. It is exhilarating! And besides, our baby is too young to register any of this. I'll start being more adult when he's 2 or something :)

No comments: