October 27, 2010

Veal Scallopini, Your New Weeknight Favorite!

I love veal scallopini!  I used to think it was probably difficult or at least time consuming to make.  Nothing could be farther from the truth!  It is an incredibly simple recipe, cooks very quickly, we have had it frequently in the last few weeks and I plan to keep it in pretty constant rotation.  Little baby boy enjoyed a few bites of it, too!  When he's big enough, I'll start buying him his very own piece.  The recipe that follows is for two servings, to make more, multiply the sauce components as needed.

2 veal scallopini
olive oil
flour
sea salt
pepper (fresh ground)

Sauce components:
2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 Tablespoon white balsamic vinegar (or other light vinegar)
3/4 Tablespoon capers, drained
flat leaf parsley (optional for garnish, either one leaf or chopped)

Spread roughly 1/4 cup of flour on a plate and dredge the veal in the flour.  It should be thoroughly but thinly coated.  Sprinkle one side with salt and pepper.  I prefer to use sea salt and freshly ground pepper for all salt and pepper uses in my kitchen.  Heat roughly 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat, this will depend on your stove.  I have a gas stove and I usually use by largest and strongest burner.  On that burner, I would use medium heat.  If it were a smaller burner, I would use medium-high heat.  Wait until the oil 'shimmers' before adding the meat.  This means that if you look at the heated oil in the pan, it should look uneven in terms of its surface.  Add the meat with the side you have salt and peppered down.  Cook this side for 2-3 minutes, depending on how hot your pan is and how browned you like your meat.  While this side is cooking, take this opportunity to salt and pepper the other side of the meat.  Turn the meat over and cook this second side for an additional 2-3 minutes.  Remove the meat from the pan and set aside. 

Next, add the unsalted butter to the pan.  I always use unsalted butter, I prefer it to salted butter because it has a cleaner, sweeter taste.  It is also predominantly what is called for in things that I bake, so it is easier to just buy one type of butter.  Allow the butter to melt and slightly brown.  Add the vinegar and capers, stirring to combine.  Return the meat to the pan and heat for an additional 1-2 minutes.  Place the meat on individual plates or a serving platter and pour the sauce over the meat.  You may garnish the meat with sprigs of flat leaf parsley, although this is optional.

You will not believe how simple, fast and delicious this is!  I promise this will surprise and delight you and your husband will be very appreciative!  Possibly you little baby also!

No comments: